Sustainable Energy - without the hot air, David MacKay

References reports, statistics and facts regarding nuclear power, power production, environmental science and so forth.
Forum rules
  • Reference material only. Every new topic must have a link or a verifiable reference to published work.
  • Relevant and useful material only. The material must be of value for factual discussions about nuclear power, power generation, environmental science and similar.
  • Stay on topic. Discuss the referenced work only. Comparisons to similar works are acceptable.
  • Debunking is allowed. You may post references to studies which you feel need comment on why they are flawed.

Sustainable Energy - without the hot air, David MacKay

Postby Michael » 07 Dec 2008, 00:28

Title: Sustainable Energy - without the hot air
ISBN: ISBN 978-0-9544529-3-3
Author: David JC MacKay, Professor of Natural Philosophy, Department of Physics, University of Cambridge
Published: 2008-12-02 (latest edition)
Availability: Downloadable, from withouthotair.com
Distribution: Creative Commons, Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales

Summary: In this work Prof. MacKay uses simple numbers to add up the energy needs of the United Kingdom, comparing energy production and energy usage. He lets easy-to-understand numbers speak for themselves, and tell that renewables such as wind and photovoltiacs, even if we cover as much as 10% of the UK with wind farms, plus all the house roofs with photovoltiacs, it will still not be enough. He also devotes an entire chapter to nuclear fission and nuclear fusion where his numbers speak clearly in favour of using nuclear power. He concludes that "Please don’t get me wrong: I’m not trying to be pro-nuclear. I’m just pro-arithmetic".

Reference code: David J.C. MacKay. Sustainable Energy – without the hot air. UIT Cambridge, 2008. ISBN 978-0-9544529-3-3. Available free online from http://www.withouthotair.com.

/Michael
Michael

Re: Sustainable Energy - without the hot air, David MacKay

Postby NuclearSpeak » 29 Nov 2011, 11:29

Nice post.

Sustainable Energy is changing the way the world installs solar power, with innovative solutions to enhance energy output from solar power systems. I think this is quite useful information on sustainable energy. Thanks for sharing. Let your voice be heard as you talk about whether you feel nuclear energy is useful and safe. Give your opinion freely
Let your voice be heard as you talk about whether you feel nuclear energy is useful and safe. Give your opinion freely
Like us on Facebook and twitter @nuclearfriends
NuclearSpeak

Postby nortski » 10 Jan 2012, 17:46

I think this is pretty conclusive material. Of course; the more nuclear reactors the more chance of things going wrong but it is the cleanest form of energy with the exception of solar energy so it will be the way forward.
nortski

Postby luigiehoffman » 03 Oct 2012, 05:50

There are many sustainable resources they can add for that innovation so it can be more productive when it comes to energy resources. Biofuel, methane gas from landfill, where they just need anaerobic digester to extract it, waste are always converted to energy that we can say it is sustainable.
luigiehoffman

Postby Kismet80 » 25 May 2013, 19:50

I think wind power is wonderful, and so is solar power, but that doesnt mean we dont need nuclear power. I try to explain this to some people, that it is sort of impossible to ever use only wind and solar, that baseload power is functionally necessary. Its the side salad of power, but you still need an entree.
Kismet80

Postby KitemanSA » 05 Jun 2013, 17:12

luigiehoffman wrote:There are many sustainable resources they can add for that innovation so it can be more productive when it comes to energy resources. Biofuel, methane gas from landfill, where they just need anaerobic digester to extract it, waste are always converted to energy that we can say it is sustainable.
A tid-bit of info you may find interesting. More people die each and every year from use of renewable sources than have died from radiation poisoning in the entire history of nuclear technology... including the bombs!
Code: Select all
Nuclear (worst case)
Bombs . . . . ~700k (includes blast effects, but what the hey!)
Chernobyl . . ~950k (yes, I know, absurd... but published)
Fukushima . . ~100k (yes, I know, absurd... but lets go with it.
All others . . .~1k
Total. . . .~1.751M

Bio-fuel . . .~1.8M/y.
How bout we save these lives first?
KitemanSA

Postby Kismet80 » 05 Jun 2013, 17:20

Hydro power killed 200 000 people when the Banqiao dam collapsed....
Kismet80

Return to The Peer Review